pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

poetry.

Aaaaaah poetry.
Personally, I hate it. I don't like writing them, and I don't like reading them. And this is because I don't understand what it's talking about most of the time.
If you want to say that you like the winter, please don't drag it out and write twenty stanzas about how you enjoy "the crisp air that delicately nips your nose".

I bet the first person to write poetry was high and decided to defy proper English.
He probably ended up with:
My dog
Loves me
She wags her tail
WAG
         WAG
                  WAG
And everyone was all THIS IS GENIUS.
And they probably freaked out how it was shaped awkwardly because they were all bored with the rectangular paragraphs.
Causing everyone to copy this new style of writing.
Causing this one individual to be a very rich man.

Maybe I lack depth. I probably do.
I'm a straightforward person and I do things in a straightforward manner.
It's easier and less frustrating.
If I want to read a book, I don't dissect each sentence trying find the meaning and symbols of "And then I walked my cat."
That's how I am.

That's why I like swimming.
The first person to get across the pool wins.
Simple. Easy. Straightforward.

But this causes me to be bad at chess.
When I play chess, I'm that awkward person who doesn't move the pieces right.
But I'm good at Tetris.
Pieces fall down, and you put them in the correct spot.
Easy.
All games should be like Tetris.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Ditto on everything. Especially tetris :)

Lioness Without A Pride said...

I LOVE TETRIS! AND SWIMMING! AND I'M HORRID AT CHESS! But I do like *some* kinds of poetry.

Fiona said...

Michelle: TETTRRIIISSS =]

Lioness: Well I guess the ones that I read as a kid were fine.
The poems by Shel Silverstein were pretty funny.

Rebecca said...

An emotionless victim
Hidden from everyone
Everything

Choice died
When he
Touched evil
Whiffed kerosene

Suddenly
Fathoms forbidden
Laughter

Fighting the fumes
The cinders

Burning, babbling, blazing
Much responsibility
Distilled
Quivering in an illuminated asylum

FOUND POEM FOR ENGLISH CLASS